- Binary search takes O(∛n) time; geometric bounds in computation
Memory's slow, but how do we model it?
- (Finished) Sunrise Alarm
It can get really bright.
- My DIY Sunrise Alarm Clock
Why and how I wrote an Android app and wired up some hardware to simulate the sunrise
- Turn Gmail attachments to Google Docs to save space
Google Docs files don't count against your Google storage quota, while Gmail attachments and all other file formats do. So, I made a tool to take attachments, import them as Google Docs, and replace the original attachment with links to the imported file
- When typing, your fingers are like a superscalar processor
Sometimes bad analogies are the most interesting ones because they make you really think about the two things you're comparing. So here's one such analogy that made me think more about CPU microarchitecture.
- FFT-Based Integer Multiplication, Part 2
How the Schonhage-Strassen algorithm uses the number theoretic transform (NTT) to multiply N-bit integers in O(N log N log log N) time
- FFT-Based Integer Multiplication, Part 1
The fast Fourier transform allows us to convolve in n log n time, which is useful for fast multiplication. But the FFT uses floating-point calculations; what problems does this cause when we want exact integer results?
- Markov Chains, Beyond the Mean
Suppose we are interested in the number of moves it takes to move from an initial state to another given state in a Markov chain. Finding the expectation of the number of moves is simple, but how about its variance?
- The Poisson, Exponential, and Uniform
Three distributions, all connected
- Hello from my blog
Blogging about setting up my blog: my experiences with the Hugo static site generator and the challenges that come from trying to minimize work/bloat sent to the client